Tuesday, August 13, 2013

We're gonna make this house your hΦΜe

Sunday marked the kick off of Florida State University's 2013 Panhellenic Recruitment. It's absolutely the weirdest feeling that I am not at the house right now; practicing lines, comparing outfits, pretend rushing PNM's (discussing the strangest things to keep ourselves entertained), throwing 4am dance/twerk parties, or breaking down the night before our pref ceremony because my sisters beautiful voices filled the house with my favorite Phillip Phillips song and realizing this will be the last time I will ever experience this (thats an understatement... uncontrollable sappy sobbing on my behalf.. and as I am typing this post, I started crying again listening to a clip featured at the bottom of this post.. took me back to that moment in time... I really need to buck up).


Woah. Talk about a rush of memories and emotions.

As I'm preparing to go to an Alumna brunch this coming sunday, I took the time to reflect on the past four years. Since when am I the person that is getting mock rushed and not doing the mock rushing at this brunch?! I have so much to be thankful and grateful for when it comes to my chapter. They took this little curly haired innocent child in 2009 and turned her into a confident successful loving spitfire of a woman. You can check out this transformation first hand... 
From gel and mousse in '09 to long flowy locks in '13.

I truly learned how to be a business woman from my chapter. Recruitment is a whirl wind in its own, but the tools and skills that you learn from it are actually rather valuable in "grown up land". The ability to figure out what people want, and simply be a good listener will get you pretty far. How to converse with strangers effortlessly and how important the choreography of meeting people is, these are all things I think about and practice in my real world job everyday. Not to mention, a sorority sister of mine connected me with my internship which led to my current big girl job (Holla for networking!).  

Flashbacks:
Recruitment 2009 was great, I received my bid to my first choice chapter and somehow seemed to avoid any real heartbreak that most women endure at least once during the process. That was the beginning of the best four years of my life and I literally had no idea. Who knew that on bid day, I'd be matched with a woman that would become my big sister (I've never had one in real life so I was beyond excited) and fall in love with my grand-big, who would soon become my mentor and role model... 
and still is.
Featured: My big (left), my Grand-Big (right)

2010 was interesting, certainly full of growing pains. Learning the flow, routine, each other etc. isn't always the easiest, but I cherish the unexpected friendships that came from it. I learned to trust my sisters, I learned to laugh with my sisters. Most importantly, this spitfire learned to cool her jets and watch her tongue (afterwards). And still had a blast
Featured: Pledge Sisters on Bid Day

2011 was AMAZING, serving Panhellenic as a Rho Gamma (Recruitment Guide for those not familiar) was one of the most rewarding experiences I had on FSU's campus. That year really allowed me to step outside of my own chapter (and myself) and get connected with the community as a whole. I suggest for everyone to take on a role like this during a time in their life. I loved being a guide, a support system, a confidant to these girls. I adore every single one of them still. 
Featured: My Rho Gam babies

However, 2012 takes the cake. I LOVED every moment of those two weeks where I spent essentially every waking moment with my sisters. I haven't ever felt closer to a group of diverse and spectacular women, and I hope every woman is able to feel that kind of excitement and fun during their life. 
Featured: Most of PC 09

This past year, I fell in love with my little sister. She wasn't my little at the time, I was flying solo due to a previous series of debacles that had left me without a nugget to care for. She was this quiet, polite, sophisticated, put-together beauty that I unintentionally hadn't really taken the time to get to know. I admired her overall essence of being, her willingness, her positive attitude, and her ability to catch on so gracefully. Every chance I got to speak in front of the group (which was often- I was one of those... every pledge class needs one of those), I praised her for her amazing work ethic. I just thought everyone should know what a freaking ROCKSTAR this rookie was. I couldn't be happier that experience was the catalyst to our life-long friendship. As a product of recruitment, I gained not only my precious little sister, but a stunning, caring, and loving grand little as well. 
Featured: Little (left), Grand-Little (right)

My hope for everyone in life is that they are able to experience and feel what I've felt with my sisters. The bond is unbreakable, the times are unchangeable. The memories will stay with me forever...but seriously. I hope everyone is able to acknowledge selfless love for each other, something that I have learned from loving this group of girls. My chapter or not, Greek or not, I wish for everyone to have such an unexplainable occurrence in their life. I hope everyone struggles to put to words what my time as a collegiate sorority woman meant to me because it was such an amazing love affair.


So, I leave you with this. 
This is a sound clip from last years recruitment practice of my absolutely amazing sisters singing a song that my own pledge sister chose to symbolize our feelings for our last round of recruitment.
[ It.couldn't.have.been.more.perfect. ]

"Hold on, to me as we go. As we roll down this unfamiliar road. And although this wave is stringing us along, just know you're not alone cause I'm gonna make this place your home. Settle down, it'll all be clear. Don't pay no mind to the demons they fill you with fear. The trouble it might drag you down if you get lost, you can always be found. Just know you're not alone, cause I'm gonna make this place your home."
-Phillip Phillips




Love,
K



No comments:

Post a Comment